HIFU technology is a safe wrinkle improvement and beauty procedure. With the correct implementation of facial firming HIFU, people report experiencing changes within a few months of treatment. In this article, we’ll be discussing what you need to know about HIFU facial treatment.
What is HIFU?
High-intensity focused ultrasound or HIFU is a cosmetic procedure in which medical professionals use ultrasound energy to target the layers of skin that lie just below the surface. As a result, the ultrasonic energy rapidly heats the skin tissue. Cells are heated to a specific temperature and they are forced to cause cellular damage. Collagen production increases due to cell damage. Collagen is a protein necessary for maintaining skin structure. As collagen production increases, the skin becomes firmer. The number of wrinkles will also be reduced. Ultrasound energy is usually focused on a specific part of the face to target specific tissues. During this procedure, the patient does not cause any additional damage to the upper layers of the skin.
HIFU facial treatment
HIFU uses focused ultrasound energy to target the layers of skin just below the surface. Ultrasonic energy rapidly heats the tissue. Once cells in the target area reach a certain temperature, they undergo cellular damage. While it may seem counterintuitive, this damage actually stimulates cells to produce more collagen — a protein that provides structure to the skin. The increase in collagen makes the skin firmer, firmer, and less wrinkled. Because the high-frequency ultrasound beam is focused on a specific tissue site below the skin surface, it does not cause damage and access problems to the upper layers of the skin.
HIFU may not be suitable for everyone. In general, this procedure is best for people over the age of 30 who have mild to moderate sagging skin. People with photodamaged skin or highly lax skin may need multiple treatments to see results. Elderly people with more severe photoaging, severe sagging skin, or very sagging neck skin are not suitable and may require surgery. HIFU is not recommended for people with infected and open skin lesions in the target area, severe or cystic acne, and those with metal implants in the treatment area.
HIFU is an excellent alternative to surgical facelifts if you want a quick, painless, and non-invasive treatment. However, HIFU is not a magic anti-aging treatment, this procedure is best for patients with mild to moderate skin laxity, who may need to have more than one treatment session within one to two years as the natural aging process begins. If you are older and have more sagging and wrinkled skin, HIFU may not help you. Older people with severely loose and saggy skin or extensive photoaging may not be ideal candidates for this treatment. Also, HIFU facial treatments are not recommended for people with metal implants, cystic acne, open skin lesions, and infections near the treatment area.
As a non-surgical technique, HIFU requires a much shorter recovery time than surgical facelifts, but the effect is less pronounced. Still, researchers found that the procedure firmed sagging skin, smoothed wrinkles, and improved skin texture. With good aftercare, the benefits of a HIFU facial can last for about 1 year.
On average, a non-surgical HIFU skin tightening procedure costs about USD 1,707. That’s a far cry from cosmetic surgery, which costs an average of USD 7,562. The cost will depend on the area being treated and your geographic location, as well as the total number of sessions required to achieve the desired results.
Benefits of HIFU facial treatment
- Enhances jawline.
- Tightens your shoulders and neck.
- Produces more collagen, making your skin properly moisturized.
- Makes your skin smoother.
- Reduces dark circles, eye bags, and dark circles.
- Improve skin elasticity and contour of the face
- Reduces wrinkles.
- Tightens loose skin on the neck(sometimes called turkey neck).
- Lifts cheeks, eyebrows, and eyelids.
- Natural-looking and long-lasting results.
- Safe and effective with little to no recovery time.
High Intensity Focused Ultrasound Facial Treatment Procedure
- The doctor will first clean the area where the UV energy passes through.
- Anesthesia cream is required to be applied before the HIFU treatment.
- Ultrasound gel is then applied to the treatment area.
- Then, the HIFU device will be placed on the target skin area to deliver the UV energy.
- The medical professional will adjust the device to place it according to the desired setting.
- Then the ultrasonic energy will be delivered to the specific area of the skin for about 30 to 90 minutes, in short pulses.
- When the tissue reaches the desired temperature, the device will then be removed and the collagen production process will begin.
Some patients will feel mild discomfort during treatment and some experience pain after their HIFU treatment. Your doctor may use a local anesthetic before surgery to help prevent this pain. Over-the-counter pain relievers may also help you deal with the pain. HIFU facials do not require any preparation. There is also no recovery time at the end of the session, which means people can continue their daily activities after receiving HIFU. Some patients might need anywhere from one to six sessions, depending on the outcome they want to achieve.
Side effects of high intensity focused ultrasound facial treatment
HIFU facials have few side effects, although some people may experience pain and discomfort after the procedure. These minor side effects include:
- Firm skin
- Purple rash
- Mild bruising
Aftercare for HIFU facial treatment
- Every day, a moisturizing and regenerating cream should be applied to the treated area.
- After treatment, it is recommended not to wash your face with hot water for at least 24 hours.
- Sunscreen at least once a day is required.
- Don’t scratch your skin and avoid touching your face as much as possible.
- Excessive exercise, sweating, hot baths, and saunas should be avoided for five days after treatment.
- Avoid exercises that require a lot of movements.
- For 15 days after treatment, try to avoid exfoliating products for the face and protect your skin from the UV rays of the sun.