Skin tightening treatments are so revolutionary because they help lift and pull the skin without any invasive procedures, sometimes called “non-surgical facelifts.” As we age, our struggle with gravity begins to diminish and we may notice loose skin around our eyes, mouth, and chin, especially when looking down. Nowadays, we have these procedures being more available to the public, but what is the best treatment for looking young? In this article, we’ll be discussing the best skin tightening procedures for anti-aging.
Factors of Skin Aging
Our skin is made up of different skin layers that protect the outer layers of our skin, give elasticity, and keep our skin strong. But as we age, these layers are usually affected and we cannot look back on what has accumulated over time. Here are some factors that make our skin age faster.
- Unhealthy lifestyle habits, environmental factors, and constant Ultraviolet ray exposure begin to compromise the structural integrity of the skin. In the face of free radicals, our cellular defenses begin to weaken, and our natural ability to fight skin damage decreases. Cell turnover and turnover rates also naturally start to slow down, reducing our skin’s radiance.
- Cell turnover continues to decline as we get older, resulting in dull and uneven skin tone. Some cells even become inactive, producing inflammatory toxins that damage and accelerate skin aging by our 30s.
- Chronic stress and inflammation inside and outside the body can delay skin recovery which leads to lasting marks and longer healing times. The skin will show more noticeable wrinkles, fine lines, and discoloration.
- In our 40s, our skin looks thinner and its natural protective barrier lipids become less visible. Dehydration can be a problem. Depending on hormonal activity, abnormal skin activity can occur, ranging from uneven skin tone to adult acne. There are also more visible signs of skin aging, such as dark spots and visible dullness.
Best Skin Tightening Procedures
This skin tightening procedure can improve texture, reduce fine lines, and even stimulate some superficial collagen, but it probably won’t make your skin firmer and lifted. That’s because micro needling is a very simple treatment, using a microneedle tip pen that doesn’t penetrate deep into the skin. The most common side effect of micro-needling is mild skin irritation immediately after the treatment. You may also see redness on your skin for a few days.
2. Laser skin treatment
Laser treatments for skin tightening can be a comfortable treatment, but it’s not as deep as ultrasound energy, so you’ll usually need more than one session to get similar results. The upside is that it is the most comfortable of most treatments and tends to be more affordable, but it may take longer to get evident results.
Swelling after laser resurfacing is normal. Your doctor may prescribe steroids to control swelling especially around your eyes. Sleeping on an extra pillow at night can also reduce swelling. You might also experience itching or tingling for 12 to 72 hours after surgery. Five to seven days after laser resurfacing, your skin will become dry and peeling. Depending on the problem being treated, healing usually takes 10 to 21 days. After the skin heals, you can use oil-free makeup to reduce the redness, which usually subsides within two to three months. You may also notice that your skin will lighten for a while after the surgery. It’s especially important to use a sunscreen with high SPF that can block both UVB and UVA while protecting your skin.
3. Radiofrequency(RF) therapy
Radiofrequency technology shares many of the same benefits as ultrasound therapy, including stronger, longer-lasting results(new collagen production lasting for 3-6 months). The disadvantage of RF treatment is that some clients often report that it is a more uncomfortable treatment. Since RF doesn’t go as deep as ultrasound, you’ll need to use a stronger setting to get the same results, which may make it less comfortable. The most common risk of using radiofrequency therapy to tighten the skin is overexposure, which can lead to burns. Other side effects may include dark spots, redness, pain, and swelling.
4. Ultrasound treatment
Ultrasonic skin tightening can target the deepest layers of the skin, supporting and lifting the shallower layers for better results. You’ll get an initial collagen contraction and then continue to build results over the next few months. Ultrasound skin tightening is one of the most effective options for non-invasive skin tightening. The technology for ultrasound skin treatments focuses on using ultrasound energy at very precise depths in all layers of the skin, from superficial to deep. Each treatment method has its advantages and disadvantages. Ultrasound for cosmetic surgery is a relatively safe procedure when done by a trained and qualified practitioner. You can also resume your daily activities as soon as you leave the treatment room. However, be aware of possible side effects such as redness, skin tenderness, swelling, bleeding under the dermis(that did not subside within two weeks), and skin scratching more than a day after treatment. If these side effects are affecting you, visit a professional right away to find out the main source of these side effects.
Post care tips for skin tightening procedures
- Walking or exercising will help improve circulation and speed up the process of removing fat.
- Hydrate. Drink as much water as you can to help flush out fat. It is recommended to drink 10 glasses or more of water per day, especially on the day of treatment and three days after treatment.
- Avoid touching or massaging the treated area to avoid any minor or major complications.
- Avoid eating too much salty or sweet food.
- No alcohol should be consumed 24 hours before or 3 days after treatment.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Eliminate sugar and refined carbohydrates such as white bread, Choose whole grains and clean sources of protein, fiber, and fat for your meals.
- Remember to be on schedule for your next meeting with your doctor to ensure your treatment plan stays on track and to maximize your results.